Connect with us

News

Army Plan To Clear Victory Monument Of All Minivans By Year End

Published

on

victory-monument-mini-vans

Sometimes it feels like Groundhog Day covering news in Bangkok and Thailand especially when it comes to government proposals and plans that seem to get churned out on a regular basis yet nothing much ever comes of them like the announcement on Tuesday that minivans are to be cleared from Victory Monument before the year is out.

Haven’t we heard this plan before, at least twice in as many years? I think we have.

Now credit where credit is due, in the summer of 2014 the army did kick some ass and put a few things right with the minivan madness in and around Victory Monument but like so many other grand plans they stopped short of finishing the job.

Maybe they will with their latest plan to integrate around 3,000 illegally-operated passenger vans into the transport system as part of a country-wide reorganisation that it’s claimed will end the chaos at Victory Monument.

victory monument mini vans july 2014

Maj Gen Chalermpol Srisawat, commander of the 2nd Cavalry Division, said all passenger vans in Thailand will be placed into one of four categories depending on where they operate.

Those operating out of Victory Monument will be overseen by the Bangkok Mass Transit Authority if they run services in Bangkok and surrounding provinces.

Those operating between Bangkok and other provinces, between provinces outside Bangkok and intra-provincial operators with be supervised by the Transport Co and DLT.

Minivans be no longer be allowed to park at Victory Monument or other any other makeshift depots. Those that do will lose their licences, Maj Gen Chalermpol said, adding all passenger vans will be assigned designated terminals.

victory monument mini vans july 2014

The hope is the reorganisation will be complete by September, however, those heading the changes have given themselves until the end of the year, as a get out if things don’t go to plan or more likely, a backlash from van operators, drivers and the public they serve.

Stickboy aka Sticky Boy aka Mike McKay aka Mike McKwai, Wild Mike, Magic Mike, Mr Mike, and a fair few more best forgotten, is a party animal with hollow legs who loves music, current affairs, beer, food, causing trouble on Twitter, and making the most of life without worrying too much about what people think or say about his antics. You can send him stuff here - stickboybkk@gmail.com

Continue Reading

News

Brit Who Threw His Wife Off Balcony Charged With Attempted Murder

Published

on

Brit Who Threw His Wife Off 8th Floor Balcony Charged With Attempted Murder

A British man has been arrested and charged with attempted murder after he threw his wife off an 8th-floor balcony at a condo in Rayong late last month.

Immigration police chief Pol Lt-General Sompong Chingduang told reporters on Wednesday that 47-year-old Dave Marshall was apprehended at the Baron Residence Soi Ladprao 130 on a warrant issued by Rayong Provincial Court for attempted murder and detaining someone against their will.

On April 28, Marshall’s wife Ms Sukanda, 56, was found laid on a 7th-floor rooftop with a fractured hip and dislocated arm having been thrown off the balcony of a neighbouring building by her husband.

Marshall was sat topless on his balcony praying when police arrived and for two hours refused to acknowledge them before finally surrendering.

He told officers he was stressed and the argument with his wife had become heated.

Brit-Throws-Thai-Wife-Off-8th-Floor-Balcony

At the time of the incident, no charges were pressed against the Brit as investigators waited to question his wife after she recovered from her injuries.

However, Marshall didn’t wait around for them to make a decision after speaking to his wife and fled to Bangkok where he checked into a hotel on Ratchada Soi 17 before continuously moving to hide changing locations to Pratunam, Victory Monument and Ramkhamhaeng, often dressing to hide his face in a bid to evade detection.

Brit Who Threw His Wife Off 8th Floor Balcony Charged With Attempted Murder

Brit Who Threw His Wife Off 8th Floor Balcony Charged With Attempted Murder

His tactics to avoid capture failed and he was tracked down to the Baron Residence where he was arrested and taken into custody.

Marshall admitted assaulting his wife, who also alleges she was held against her will for several days at the Ban Chang Cliff Beach Condotel in Rayong, but claims he had been deceived when she dumped him for a new man after he transferred all his assets into her name.

Police will now take the suspect back to Rayong where he will be held pending a court appearance.

Continue Reading

News

Car Owner Gets Speeding Ticket 8 Months After His Wheels Were Nicked

Published

on

Car Owner Gets Speeding Ticket 8 Months After His Wheels Were Nicked

The hunt is on in Chonburi province for a Toyota Fortuner that was stolen 8 months ago in Bangkok after the owner received a speeding ticket in the post.

The owner of the vehicle had resigned himself to the fact his wheels were gone forever after the guy who nicked it before pawning it at an illegal casino told police his friend had “borrowed it” following his arrest for theft.

The pair were prosecuted but the friend and the car were never found, however, after being caught on camera doing 148 km/h the search for the car is back on.

Pattaya’s finest have already spotted it on security cameras in Laem Chabang and Si Racha with those tasked with finding it claiming it will be tracked down in no time at all.

A 30,000 baht reward is on the table for anyone who can assist in its recovery.

Continue Reading

News

Social Media Backlash Forces TrueOnline To Unblock PornHub

Published

on

Social Media Backlash Forces TrueOnline To Unblock PornHub

They shut pubs, banned booze, hit happy endings on the head, told the nation to stay at home, and everyone took it on the chin, complained a bit and got on with life but when PornHub was pulled by TrueOnline this week Thai citizens were ready to take to the streets of the capital for a mass protest.

The social media backlash against one of the countries biggest ISPs after they blocked access to the world’s #1 adult video site PornHub was so big, bosses at TrueOnline had no other option than do a u-turn saying it was all a big misunderstanding and there had been some sort of mistake.

Twitter user @wanpedkarbkarb started the whole thing on Monday when he complained True were blocking access to his go-to site for some home alone relief.

The official account @true_online replied: “True Internet restricts access to Pornhub. We block our service to inappropriate content websites”.

Cue the shit storm.

Users asked were the internet giants their parents? Were they now going to only start hiring virgins? Are we no longer allowed to get horny?

The comments just kept on coming and management at True HQ must have been in a spin as millions of customers were being urged to boycott the company and take their business to another ISP who were happy to let the masses masturbate in the privacy of their own homes during the curfew.

Within hours boners were back on the allowed list when True flipped the censorship switch putting PornHub back online for their customers.

“The admin would like to apologise for the misinformation. The website is not blocked. If you have any problems accessing it, please contact us for further inspection,” the company tweeted on their official account.

Pornography is illegal in Thailand and adult sex sites are in fact supposed to be banned but with eyes elsewhere online, nobody downloading or watching PornHub has been hit with a five years jail term or a fine of up to 100,000 baht for cracking one off at home.

Continue Reading

Trending